Color blocking is one of those trends that’s not really a “trend” per se. It never seems to go out of style and new iterations of the eye-catching method of paneling color reappear nearly every season both on runways and streets. Just look at RandM favorites Gucci, Tibi and Salvatore Ferragamo, to name a few.
Color blocking can, however, be tricky. The presence of so many analogous bright colors in a single look can err on the side of amateur or even worse, clownish. The key is to select the right color scheme (monochrome, analagous or perpindicular on the color wheel), choose pieces with clean lines and shapes, and make sure that the pieces are well tailored. This is not the time to go for “effortless”. Polish is key with color blocking. See some of our runway inspiration, realway way to wear and selected pieces below.
Street Style Inspiration
1. Topshop Ruffle Crepe Midi Skirt, $80
3. Cushnie et Ochs Color Blocked Pencil Dress, $1,495
5. Rochas Duchesse Trench Style Coat, $785
7. Anine Bing Frill Sleeve Top, $229
8. Prada Ankle Strap Platform Sandal, $820
9. Victoria Beckham Victoria Pants, $695
10. Zara Faux Leather Pencil Skirt in Red, $35.90
11. Zara Cropped Wide Sleeve Sweater, $39.90